CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 8, 2008

French men* give me the creeps

For the record, french men are some of the creepiest men I have experienced in all my stay in Paris.  This is a record of about 4 hours in Paris...


Last night as I was going out (around 9pm), I walked down the street and there was a crazy old homeless person yelling, that's fine by me.  So I put my headphones of my ipod on and begin to "listen" to the music.  Of course this angers the crazy french man and begins to shout at the top of his lungs at me, "POUTAIN!!!" and follow me down the street (Note: Poutain is a very not nice word to say to a lady).  There are about 60 people on this road at the time, including a tour group.  I keep the headphones on and assume the "I can't hear you" position and just walk away.

About 1 train layover later, I am waiting for the train to arrive.  My headphones are on now and I am actually listening to music.  As I wait I look around the train station to entertain myself.  For some reason creepy french guy #2 (dresses like a normal person and NOT homeless), thinks this means that I am attracted to him.  First, he tries smiling at me, and I resist the American urge to smile back, as I know that this is basically considered an open invitation to French men.  As I ignore him, he attempts to get in my line of vision.  This is the part where I begin to "dance" with my head to the music and use the "blank stare" look.  After about 2 minutes of him awkwardly trying to get in my line of vision he tries to talk to me, I again "jam" to my music and do a complete 360 degree turn.  At this point the train arrives and he luckily gets the idea that I am not interested.

On the next train I have to take, I am of course sitting directly across from a disheveled french man,  who starts off our journey serenading me.  When I deny him eye contact.  He does jazz hands in my line of sight to try and break my stare.  Luckily I keep my focus and keep looking blankly at a cute french baby 2 rows behind him.  After his last attempt at breaking my focus he finally gets off the train and tells me how much I will regret this.

Finally while I am walking home by myself, I walk past a homeless man on the ground who again screams POUTAIN at me.  

I really don't appreciate the French version of chivalry.  

*Please note, not all French men are creepy.  I would say about 96.8% are creepy, and the other 3.2% are probably nice

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess,
More verification of what I have told you since you were so young.
"MEN ARE PIGS". Most of them anyway. Love reading about your adventures,
Dad

Anonymous said...

hahahah biggie- i read this at work at had to cough uncontrolably so it didnt sound like i was laughing

Allison said...

Ditto on katie's comment. i was LOLing at work!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha ggbiggie this is funny and surprisingly i am extremely jealous of you even though you have been relentlessly pursued by creepy french men. i can't wait to see you in paris!!! hoorayyy <3 miss you!