CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What happens in Amsterdam....

The next day we wake up and just sort of hang around the hostel... I of course buy myself a new camera COMPLETE with tripod, possibly the best feature for a camera EVER! After waiting about an hour, Angie and I drag our bags to the airport bus (really just me as there is only one). Nothing really exciting happened now.

We got on a plane, a fluorescent green and blue Transavia one, if that gives you any indication of Holland. And to Angie's delight the fabric was made with embroidered emoticons! Just the fabric my mom is looking for, right?

So we arrive in Amsterdam and take the train to Centraal Station, which is a beautiful old building located right in the heart of the city. Luckily for us, we were able to find our couchsurfing host amongst all the men in "black overcoats", which luckily is NOT what Keanu Reeves wore in the Matrix.

So we meet up with Robb and he tells us all about why he is in Amsterdam, as he is originally from Cali. Apparently he is some sort of silicone molding scientist, who coats his silicone models in gold? I don't know I sort of stopped listening after a while. We dropped off oru things and headed back into the main city.

Robb first took us to Leipsestraat, where all the shopping is and also a delicious Wagamama* Restaurant. For those who have never heard, Wagamama* is a delicious British asian noodle house. I had most delicious shrimp in a thai coconut broth with some noodles, YUM! Angie was thrilled with her vegetarian noodle dish. Angie and I went on a big splurge and even ordered up some most delicious fried bananas! A bit expensive but worth every single penny as we were starving!

After our hunger had been satisfied. We went for a little tour and just happened upon the Grasshopper, a coffeehouse of Amsterdam. As most of you know, I am not nor have I ever been a smoker of any kind. So I thought, when in Amsterdam do whatever you can do legally. Angie and I ordered a Space cake, which was moist chocolatey and delicious. As we were eating it, we were reminded that Aunt Lou specifically asked us to think of her while in Amsterdam... she knew we were going to Spain and Holland yet Amsterdam was her choice place for us to think of her? So the first bite of my space cake all I did was think of Aunt Lou.

Nothing really happened at first, and then MmmmBop came on and the world changed.

Let's just say if you are ever going to get high in Amsterdam MmmmBop is the song to do it to. We then sat in the bar for what seemed like hours watching Dutch TV's really big things. Angie claimed the next day she really wasn't that high but I don't believe her as she was making up pretty funny conversations of a man flying on a blimp.

Afterwards we decided to try ad walk off the high and see some more Amsterdam. I am not going to lie, I felt a little woozy and like everything was blurred together, and there was nothing I could do about it. At this point, we walked right into the Red light district. It's not quite what I imagined, especially while high.

I guess for some reason I romanticized the idea of the red light district and I envisioned vine colored buildings with old iron work balconies and girls sitting on the window sill beckoning the men to come visit them. BUT instead it was strictly on the ground floor of buildings. Basically doors were replaced with pure glass panes that women stood behind in underwear, so that men could get a full view of them. And there were ALL the different types of women possible, big ones, small ones, all races, etc. Supposedly there are prostitutes who are not 100% woman who also work in Amsterdam and they specifically register themselves that way... interesting.

Another nice thing about prostitution there, the prostitutes have a union, so they can reform there business and try and scare all the pimps away. Each prostitute is required by law to be tested for STD's at the end of every month. Well at least Amsterdam likes to keep their tourists clean. Another trivia fact 40% of the prostitution business' customers come from the United Kingdom.

After a brief walk through the Red Light District, we returned back to Robb's which was basically the Ritz of our vacation as we each had a clean bed to sleep on with tons of covers, and free internet access! WOOT!

Check out Day Two's photos!

0 comments: