CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Found Insomnia and a Case of the Fashion Blues

Today I woke up at 3 am. I don't think I have ever just woken up at 3 am. Usually I am STILL awake and wasting time on something dumb.

The conclusion drawn on this new found insomnia is that I am in fact suffering from the flu. My dad and Granny just had it so I guess I caught it. My body's reaction is inability to sleep and fever. Which is really the best you could ask for in a flu situation.

Now with this glorious lack of sleep, I have taken to attempting to pack for France. So far I have conquered toiletries and electronics, packed in the smaller of the 2 check in luggage (as recommended by my totally awesome cousin). I have no clue how I will overcome the hurdle of clothing. I am one of those girls who has A clothing (the good stuff), B clothing (stuff you occasionally wear) and C Clothing (the stuff you'd like to wear but really don't think is "you" or actually doesn't even fit you anymore but you hang on to it just because you loved it once)

Now what it comes down to is what do I want to look like in Paris. As it is the Fashion epicenter of the whole universe, this is a world altering decision. Do I want to come off Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face? Definitely, but I also want to throw a bit of Katie Holmes a la recently. Very classy and sophisticated but with a little modern day edge. Should I include Brigitte Bardot in the items that enter my bag? Duh, which is why I plan on taking plenty of eyeliner.
Leslie Carron, tops my list of favorite actresses from the 50's... very Parisian and glamorous. Always had a nice floppy hat on her head and a scarf around her neck. I'd like to have the confidence to do that. Or red lipstick in the daytime. I think every girl should become a woman with the discovery of the perfect shade of red lipstick. Back to the actualy point though, what do I wear in the fashion capital of the world. Perhaps one of the most difficult decisions is comfort vs. style. Some people claim they can be achieved simultaneously, but I doubt that. I mean you can look "cute" or "nice" but people will not admire you for your style.

I am a babysitter, so I should wear flats. BUT my Michael Kohrs boots are absolutely adorable and comfy enough to wander around the Musee D'Orsay or Marmmotan. People have seen said boots on me, and liked them so much they went out and bought them themselves. To me, that is STYLE. When someone looks at you and goes oh hot damn, I want to look like you. But woe is me, I am an au pair and required to walk from place to place not chauffeured around the town. But all I do is pick the kiddies up from school and wander back to the apartment, and you never know the girls could have a breathtakingly gorgeous teacher or tutor or something and I don't think a pair of sneakers would be my best option to impress him (Sorry Vince, if I meet Oliver Martinez and he falls in love with me because of my Michael Kohrs boots, we had a good time these past years but we are most likely over)

Tonight I promise that I shall pack some basics clothing essentials tomorrow with my best friend Tiffy and if I fail to do so, my punishment shall be not watching the show Las Vegas on TV. She hails from Philly and will most likely knock some sense into me if I try and add a vintage but very ugly pink poncho that fashionistas argue is in style. Tiffy is definitely my Michael Kohrs boots as I wouldn't trade for anything.

0 comments: