CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

German Invasion of PARIS!

I probably will get in trouble for that title, but it's so true.

My german came to Paris to pass a lovely weekend together and celebrate our second anniversary (April 7/8, I never remember).


He arrived late at night on a Thursday, and we didn't really get much time to do anything after we came back from the airport. But Friday we got up early and wandered around the streets of Paris as I was on a mission to convince Vince (haha) that he could love Paris like I do.

Our first stop was at the Pantheon. I think he was quite impressed with my knowledge of the old buildings, thanks to my prof Christophe. Originally a church dedicated to St. Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris , the building has seen many changes over the years. Construction started in 1744 when a church in that area was destroyed. King Louis XV decided to construct a grander one, suitable to honor St. Genevieve by the great architect Soufflot (thus the name of the road that leads to it Rue Soufflot)... After at least a century the Pantheon that is standing was finished. During the French Revolution the building itself lost a lot of its religious ties and became more of a monument to the French heroes of the war. Several famous writers, scientists and thinkers are entombed there including Marie and Pierre Curie, Voltaire, Emile Zola, and Victor Hugo.


After a nice hour or so walking through the Pantheon and its crypts, we carried on to the ile de la cite and one of my favorite parks in the city.



Right at the back of Notre Dame is a sweet little park that despite its location is never too busy. Vince and I paused a bit, but then I took him for a nice stroll along the Seine until I had to pick Raphy up for school. But before we got Raphy I was kind enough to introduce him to the most delicious chocolate cake that ever existed... wow I am a great girlfriend!

While I babysat the girls, Vince hung out with us and helped to make some delicious raclette. Steamed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms with melted cheese that you pour over it.

That night we went out to one of my favorite local bars, the Fifth Bar, and had some drinks and played some beer pong...


Although I don't remember all of the night, I do remember that we walked away from the table victorious, and that for some reason the bartenders gave us a striptease?



Saturday morning we woke up early and I took him on a nice walking tour of Paris and showed him all of the sights. Also as a nice anniversary present I bought him a delicious dark chocolate and banana crepe, I am a great girlfriend!



We ended up walking from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower along the Seine so he got a pretty nice view into Paris.




Right before the Eiffel Tower we took a little detour and had a lovely little late lunch at a cute cafe.

Afterwards, a nice photo op outside of the Eiffel Tower being ridiculously romantic and such!

Then dinner at a sweet Belgian place right down the street from where I live. We shared so sumptuous escargot, and Vince got to have a nice big Belgian beer while I had a HUGE glass of wine (the size of my head). We both had excellent meals despite the baby crab in my mussels.





Overall the weekend was pretty incredible, it's nice to see your boyfriend, and especially nice to see your boyfriend and celebrate your anniversary! I do love Vince, but sometimes it's tough being far apart for so long, so that made this weekend together all the more special!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you that was so pretty